It has certainly been a long, terribly cold, winter which resulted in many of us putting our healthy habits on hold until the weather broke. But at long last, spring has arrived!
Let’s get back to our healthier ways, starting with choosing the right snacks. Many people think that snacking is a bad idea. I disagree. I think snacking is absolutely part of a healthy diet and can be a wonderful opportunity to fuel your body with plenty of nutrients. That’s as long as you keep with the theme of eating for health by avoiding empty calories and keeping portion size small.
In order to keep hunger at bay, it is important your snacks include a balance of protein and carbs with a ratio of 1:2. If you’re physically active you can increase the carbs.
Here are some of my favorite nutritious snacks.
- 1 low fat string cheese with fresh fruit OR 6 Triscuits
- 1 TBSP peanut butter with 1/2 banana (100% natural peanut butter), 1 apple OR 6 Triscuits
- 1/2 nut butter & honey sandwich on 100% whole grain bread
- 1/4 cup almonds or pistachios
- a handful of veggies with 1-2 TBSP hummus
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 hardboiled egg with 1/2 orange
- 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese with berries
- 1/2 cup Edamame
What are some of your favorite healthy, balanced snacks?
– Liz Erker, RD